On 10/02/17 16:50, John Lenton wrote:
> I should point out that there isn't a clear 1:1 mapping between desktop
> files and apps, and that some of the things mentioned here would impose
> this.
>
> FWIW IMHO if gnome software needs to choose one app from a snap to run
> because of its own limitations it should choose the default app, the one
> that has the same name as the snap.

I don't think we should assume that GNOME Software should run *anything*
from a snap unless there is a .desktop file for it. Lots of snaps will
not be appropriate to run in a GUI.

Mark

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  GNOME Software only supports running one application from a snap

Status in Snappy:
  New
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  HOW TO REPRODUCE:

  1. Install LibreOffice snap ('nonfree' tag) from Ubuntu Software.
  2. Click on the 'Launch' button once you have it installed.

  WHAT IS EXPECTED:
  It should launch the LibreOffice wizard instead of any of Writer, Calc, etc.

  WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS:
  It launches LibreOffice Database.

  WHY THIS HAPPENS?

  Ubuntu Software probably picks the first listed command
  (libreoffice.base), as shown in

  $ snap info libreoffice
  name:      libreoffice
  summary:   "LibreOffice is a powerful office suite including word processing
and creation of spreadsheets, slideshows and databases"
  publisher: canonical
    LibreOffice is a powerful office suite – its clean interface and
    feature-rich tools help you unleash your creativity and enhance your
    productivity. LibreOffice includes several applications that make it the
most
    powerful Free and Open Source office suite on the market: Writer (word
    processing), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (vector
    graphics and flowcharts), Base (databases), and Math (formula editing).
  commands:
    - libreoffice.base
    - libreoffice.calc
    - libreoffice.draw
    - libreoffice.impress
    - libreoffice
    - libreoffice.math
    - libreoffice.writer
  tracking:    stable
  installed:   5.3.0.3 (17) 374MB -
  refreshed:   2017-02-01 20:51:51 +0200 EET
  channels:
    stable:    5.3.0.3 (17) 374MB -
    candidate: 5.3.0.3 (17) 374MB -
    beta:      5.3.0.3 (17) 374MB -
    edge:      5.3.0.3 (17) 374MB -

  The order in snapcraft.yaml is different, so probably Snapcraft is changing
the order (it might assume that 'libreoffice' is 'libreoffice.libreoffice', so
it puts it further down.

  Here is snapcraft.yaml: https://git.launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen
  /df-libreoffice/+git/libreoffice-snap-
  playground/tree/snapcraft.yaml?h=xenial