Public bug reported:

Many software are tagged in Ubuntu Software (a.k.a. Ubuntu Software
Center) as "non-free" like VLC or hexchat.

Unfortunately meaning of "non-free" is not explained as far as I can
see.

Does it mean "free software" as opposite of "proprietary"? Or does it
mean it requires a price to pay to install and use?

Furthermore, I cannot see any license information of such software. As
they are listed as "non-free", a user might think that they are closed
source software. However in fact vlc and hexchat are open source
software. This is misleading.

I suggest adding short and descriptive license information. It should
always be noted if a software is open source or not. In addition, if a
software is under a common "free software" license such as GPL or Apache
it also can be stated. This would provide users with valuable and easy
to understand information about software he/she is about to install.

I also suggest adding repository information of any software. Is it in
"main", "universe", "restricted" or "multiverse"? This would provide
users with meaningful extra information.

Ubuntu Release: 16.10
software-center:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 16.01+16.04.20160420
  Version table:
     16.01+16.04.20160420 500
        500 http://tr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://tr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety/universe i386 Packages

** Affects: software-center (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

  Many software are tagged in Ubuntu Software (a.k.a. Ubuntu Software
  Center) as "non-free" like VLC or hexchat.

  Unfortunately meaning of "non-free" is not explained as far as I can
  see.

  Does it mean "free software" as opposite of "proprietary"? Or does it
- mean it does not require any price to pay to install and use?
+ mean it requires a price to pay to install and use?

  Furthermore, I cannot see any license information of such software. As
  they are listed as "non-free", a user might think that they are closed
  source software. However in fact vlc and hexchat are open source
  software. This is misleading.

- I suggest adding short and descriptive license information would be
- efficient. It should always noted if a software is open source or not.
- In addition, ff a software is under a common license such as GPL or
- Apache it also can be stated. This would provide users with valuable
- information about software he/she is about to install.
+ I suggest adding short and descriptive license information. It should
+ always be noted if a software is open source or not. In addition, if a
+ software is under a common open source license such as GPL or Apache it
+ also can be stated. This would provide users with valuable and easy to
+ understand information about software he/she is about to install.

  I also suggest adding repository information of any such software. Is it
[...]

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  License information of "non-free" software are not described

Status in software-center package in Ubuntu: