Unfortunately that didn't work. I went back to the versions that 16.10
originally shipped with and its still broken. I'm guessing some data
file that gets generated got corrupted and its causing this but I'm
unable to find it. I've taken an strace of lightdm-gtk-greeter showing
the failure to help track this down

** Attachment added: "lightdm-gtk-greeter.strace"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1662244/+attachment/4822818/+files/lightdm-gtk-greeter.strace

** Also affects: lightdm-gtk-greeter

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  lightdm causes all greeters to fail to start

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Invalid
Status in LightDM GTK+ Greeter:
  Invalid
Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in unity-greeter package in Ubuntu:

  lightdm is failing to start. Best guess is because of unity-session-
  manager. This is from .xsession-errors.

  dbus-update-activation-environment: setting
_=/usr/bin/dbus-update-activation-environment
  upstart: click-user-hooks main process (4028) terminated with status 1
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process ended, respawning
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process ended, respawning
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process ended, respawning
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process ended, respawning
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process ended, respawning
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process ended, respawning
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process ended, respawning
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process ended, respawning
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process ended, respawning
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process ended, respawning
  upstart: unity-settings-daemon respawning too fast, stopped
  upstart: indicator-application main process ended, respawning
  upstart: indicator-application main process ended, respawning
  upstart: indicator-application respawning too fast, stopped
  xbrlapi: window 0x03a00084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x03a00084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x03c00084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x03c00084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  xbrlapi: window 0x04000084 changed to NULL name
  upstart: dbus main process (4023) killed by TERM signal

  I've tried to move aside $HOME/.config/dconf/user and that didn't work. I've
reverted kernel versions and that didn't work. I've moved aside $HOME/.cache
and that didn't work.

  Package: lightdm 1.19.5-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zcommon znvpair zavl
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64