Public bug reported:

For Nautilus' built-in search to not be very slow, Nautilus needs to use
tracker for search.

This is especially important since it's being seriously proposed for
Ubuntu 17.10 that we drop the "type-ahead search" patch that reverted
the removal of that feature by Nautilus years ago. (LP: #1666681)

To not cripple Ubuntu GNOME, it was decided to let Nautilus build
against tracker but not use that functionality on Unity. See this patch:

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
desktop/nautilus/ubuntu/view/head:/debian/patches/ubuntu_tracker_only_on_GNOME.patch

** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Enable tracker by default for Unity too

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu: