On closer examination the suspend issue that I was seeing was not
related to the 1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 networkmanager upgrade but a bios
upgrade I performed a few days earlier. The forced reboot only occurred
when suspending while powered and resuming on battery after unplugging
the laptop, which is why I hadn't noticed earlier. After downgrading the
bios and reinstalling the networkmanager update everything is working
fine now.

Apologies for the false alarm. For anyone interested, the system is an
XPS 9350 and the offending bios upgrade was 1.4.13 (reverting back to
1.4.12 fixed the issue).

** Tags removed: verification-failed-xenial
** Tags added: verification-done-xenial

  [SRU] Upgrade network-manager to latest point release

Status in OEM Priority Project:
  Triaged
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in network-manager source package in Yakkety:

  [Impact]

  This SRU would try to have the latest well-tested upstream point
  release (1.2.6) of 1.2.x land in Xenial, which is the successor of the
  current 1.2.2 version, fixing quite some bugs that's suitable to land
  in the stable branch.

  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/NEWS?h=nm-1-2

  [Test Case]

  After installing the updated version, users should be able to avoid
  some mem leaks in some cases and have generally improved DNS related
  experiences.

  Also, as this is a general point release update, cases described in
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/DistroTesting should be used
  for smoke testing.

  [Regression Potential]

  This is a bug/regression fix for 1.2.2 and 1.2.4, which is quite
  complete.

  [Other Info]
  The first attempt at SRUing this to xenial was for 1.2.4 but it failed
verification. This second attempt matches yakkety with 1.2.6.

  Parallel building was enabled in xenial to keep the diff between
  xenial and yakkety minimal since they are basically in sync now.
  Parallel building was enabled in the yakkety package in May 2016 so
  it's been working fine for a while.

  needed by:
  lp #1647283