I just upgraded 16.04 to 16.10 and had to search and find the solution
on my fucking smartphone instead of the PC because somebody decided to
change the way the network manager *manages* the network interfaces.
Good job, you've just wasted tens of people's hours for nothing. I hope
somebody's really proud of themselves. I swear to god, as soon as
Android manages to take a big chunk out of the Linux desktop market
share, Ubuntu goes right out of the SSD on my machine. I've just about
had enough of this crap.

  network-manager does not manage ethernet and bluetooth interfaces when
  Ubuntu 16.10 is installed using chroot/netboot method

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Hello,

  I installed Ubuntu 16.10 using a chroot. I use network-manager to
  manage connections. My system is up-to-date (so I use network-manager
  1.2.4-0ubuntu1).

  Wifi works perfectly but I cannot connect to wired networks and using
  my phone's Bluetooth connection. Corresponding devices are said to be
  unmanaged by network-manager. nmcli dev outputs:

  DEVICE                                    TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION
  enp1s0                                    ethernet  unmanaged     --
  wlp2s0                                    wifi      disconnected  --
  6C:9B:02:2C:EE:2C                         bt        unmanaged     --
  hfp/org/bluez/hci0/dev_6C_9B_02_2C_EE_2C  gsm       unmanaged     --
  lo                                        loopback  unmanaged     --

  The following command has no effect:
  sudo nmcli dev set enp1s0 managed yes

  I can connect to a wired connection by doing:
  ifconfig enp1s0 up
  dhclient enp1s0

  There is nothing in the file /etc/network/interfaces.

  Everything works perfectly if I downgrade network-manager to this
  version: network-manager_1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.3_amd64.deb
  (http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/amd64/network-
  manager/download). I had to install libreadline6 and downgrade nplan
  to meet dependencies.

  I don't know what to join to this bug report so please ask in case
  anything is needed.