After some more investigation, in the non-rootless mode, Xmir sets the
_MIR_WM_PERSISTENT_ID atom on the root window, and since pasted just
queries the default root window, this works fine.

However, in rootless move, one of the children on the "root" window gets
the _MIR_WM_PERSISTENT_ID atom, thus pasted is not able to get the
persistent surface id.

So, we can approach this one of two ways.

1. Xmir can set _MIR_WM_PERSISTENT_ID on the root window regardless of the mode.
2. pasted will have to get smarter and try to first query the root window and
if that returns nothing, then do an XQueryTree() and iterate over child windows
until the _MIR_WM_PERSISTENT_ID is found.

I prefer 1 since it will offer consistency, bit I'm not sure if there
are any pitfalls with that approach.  Will subscribe xmir to this bug
and get duflu's advice:)

** Also affects: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: xmir

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  Copy & paste into/from Xapps no longer works

Status in Canonical System Image:
  New
Status in Libertine:
  In Progress
Status in Libertine devel series:
  In Progress
Status in Libertine trunk series:
  Triaged
Status in libertine package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  Seems pasted is no longer working due to some change somewhere other
  than pasted.

  I suspect either Xmir -rootless mode broke this or we need the Xmir
  changes for supporting Mir 0.26 (or both).