funnily enough, the bug is actually fixed, all what is needed is
actually network-manager-openvpn-gnome (I tested it on version
1.1.93-1ubuntu1.1 in 16.04.2) installed and then the network settings
configuration gui restarted so the new VPN shows up as openvpn, after
that importing the configuration from ovpn file works..

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-openvpn in Ubuntu.

  unable to import config with inlined ca, cert, key or tls-auth

Status in NetworkManager-OpenVPN:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Fedora:

  Binary package hint: network-manager-openvpn-gnome

  So a client of mine runs an OpenVPN setup. It exported a client.ovpn
  file but it fails to completely import this file using the network-
  manager (gnome) on Ubuntu 10.04.

  When I import the file, it gives me the name ("client") and gateway
  ("vpn.example.org") on the initial screen. No other fields are
  populated even though the client.ovpn file also includes a user
  certificate, server certifikate and a private key.

  When I go to advanced, some (most) of the settings obviously seem to
  import correct, others not at all. E.g. none of the TLS settings (key
  and key direction) are imported.

  From what I understand I should be able to use this without any
  additional settings.

  The following software is installed through aptitude:

   * openvpn (2.1.0)
   * openvpn-blacklist
   * network-manager-openvpn
   * network-manager-openvpn-gnome