Sergio,

Also, I'm not 100% certain the other bug is not a dupe of this one,
because Yakkety.  Their workarounds of restarting dnsmasq, etc. still
didn't work on a 16.04 system (even restarting Network Manager didn't
help - dnsmasq was still dead for *everything*), and now I'm getting
issues where the domain is set proper with search domains, but I'm
'refused' from querying the domain assigned.

The DNS servers that *should* be assigned by the VPN are properly
handling the requests, so I don't know what's going on and will check
more later.  (Falling back to local `bind9` resolver in the mean time)

  Network Manager w/ dnsmasq Dies when VPN-ing

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Hello.

  Within the past week or so, a new bug has cropped up on Network
  Manager on 16.04.

  When Network Manager on 16.04 is configured to use dnsmasq and not
  systemd-resolved, one is expecting VPN DNS servers to be properly set
  and dnsmasq to properly route DNS requests to the Internet.

  However, when connecting to my OpenVPN connection, dnsmasq now fails
  extremely hard and no longer replies or routes data for DNS requests
  properly.  This results in me having to use a fail-over workaround of
  enforcing resolvconf to use my local `bind9` instance on my own system
  for DNS, which is configured to route to Google for DNS requests.
  This, however, prohibits me from using my own DNS on my VPN connect,
  which are on the remote location and serve internal ranges and domains
  that I should be permitted to access.

  Given these issues, with `dnsmasq` just outright exploding in our
  faces and no longer being usable for DNS request routing over the VPN,
  I'm not even sure we can consider VPN DNS as a viable option anymore
  with 16.04.

  Note that this is only *very* recently a problem within the past few
  weeks, and I can't find any updates which would have impacted this.

  Package: network-manager 1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Mar 23 14:04:06 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  nmcli-nm:
   RUNNING  VERSION  STATE      STARTUP  CONNECTIVITY  NETWORKING  WIFI-HW
WIFI     WWAN-HW  WWAN
   running  1.2.6    connected  started  full          enabled     enabled
enabled  enabled  enabled