Hello,

After doing some testing (see log) on a fresh install of linux mint I have
figure out that the issue isn't with the network-manager-openvpn package it's
just with the network-manager package.
To test this I just upgraded network-manager-openvpn from each version to see
when bug occurred (and restarted network-manger service each time) but the bug
never happened. When I upgraded network-manager to 1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 the
bug was there immediately after restarting network service.

There is an issue logged here with a lot of attention that matches the
description.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1671606

** Attachment added: "log.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-openvpn/+bug/1675199/+attachment/4848352/+files/log.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-openvpn in Ubuntu.

  Can not reconnect a VPN without retarting network-manager

Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  since the last update of network-manager-openvpn (2017/03/15) on
  Xenial, I have an issue with VPN.

  Let's say I have two configured VPN: A & B. I am able to connect to my
  VPN A (or B) with no problem at the first time. However, if I
  disconnect from this VPN, I am not able to connect it again or to
  connect to my other VPN anymore. I have to restart the network-manager
  and it is not always sufficient.

  I am under Xubuntu 16.04 and openvpn 2.3.10.
  I apologize for the lack of technical information but I don't know how to
investigate more this problem. I can only add that it was working fine before
the update.

  Thank you for help !

  Steven

  PS: the day of the update, network-manager-openvpn-gnome has also been
  updated