I just tested this very easily, but unfortunately nothing was recorded
in any of the /var/logs. The steps I used to replicate on a Lenovo P50
running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS (fully updated as of 29 March 2017)

1) Open Caja 1.12.7 (also tested using Nautilus on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)
2) Navigate to a folder that has 500 text files in it of very small size
(5-10kb is sufficient)
3) Press F3 to open a new pane (or optionally open a new window, doesn't
matter) and navigate to an empty folder on the same drive (or a different
drive, doesn't matter)
4) Highlight most or all of the files in the source directory, and press CTRL-X
(or edit > cut, doesn't matter)
5) Go to the destination pane, and press CTRL-V (or edit > paste, doesn't
matter)

Sometimes, the cut/paste will happen nearly instantly as it should.
Sometimes though, it will take a second or two to start, then spend
between 1 and 20 minutes sitting there, copying the files one-by-one,
very very very very very slowly. This issue is not reproducible using
the 'cp' or 'mv' command line programs.

  cut-n-paste move files got stuck forever

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in pcmanfm package in Ubuntu:

  With Nautilus, I navigated to a folder that contained about 2,000 gif files.
  I selected all of them
  I cut with Ctrl+X
  I navigated to another folder
  I pasted with Ctrl+V

  => A popup window appeared saying "Preparing to move N files", and it got
stuck there forever.
  Nautilus stopped responding. I waited half an hour, then I had to kill it.

  Actually some of the files were moved. Which is the worst thing that
  could happen.

  I tried again with the remaining files and it happened again!! It's
  systematic!!!!!!

  I suspect it has to do with displaying the previews of a big number of
  files. Nautilus becomes completely unmanageable whenever you open
  folders with lots of files. Maximum priority should be given to the UI
  and actual operations; displaying of the previews should be done in
  the background and should never, ever slow down user operations the
  slightest bit. Seems pretty obvious.

  Also note that 2000 is not even that much. Actually it's very few
  files.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.5.90.really.3.4.2-0ubuntu4.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-25.38-generic 3.5.7.4
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-25-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu10
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Tue Feb 26 18:23:52 2013
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry' b"'1312x713+64+71'"
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'sidebar-width' b'180'
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'start-with-status-bar' b'true'
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: nautilus
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2013-01-13 (44 days ago)