turns out we needed switcheroo-control so closing this bug

   [FFe] [needs-packaging] switcheroo-control

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  Support GNOME Shell 3.24's 'Launch Using Dedicated Graphics Card'

Status in nvidia-prime package in Ubuntu:

  I don't have NVIDIA hardware but I package gnome-shell.

  Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 has GNOME 3.24. It would be great if the new
  support for hybrid graphics worked.

  https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2016/11/01/discrete-graphics-and-
  fedora-workstation-25/

  (The GNOME part is step 6 in that blog post.)

  Could you look into seeing if this works? And if it doesn't work,
  could you report what doesn't work so it can be mentioned in the
  Release Notes for those wondering about the feature?