I am also having such problem with 16.04 LTS whenever it is just "sudo"
or "gksu" before gedit

gksu gedit $scriptpath/$config/minidlna.conf

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  "Set document metadata failed"

Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:

  Whenever I edit a document via the Terminal, I get these error
  messages:

  ** (gedit:12864): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting
  attribute metadata::gedit-spell-enabled not supported

  ** (gedit:12864): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting
  attribute metadata::gedit-encoding not supported

  ** (gedit:12864): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting
  attribute metadata::gedit-position not supported

  Info:
  OS: Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) x64
  App version: 3.18.3

  - Blossom