Probably. However I just tested on unity7 and no notification shows up.
This seems to work only in gnome-shell. So not something that can be
enabled by default for now.

** Changed in: chromium-browser (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: Olivier Tilloy (osomon) => (unassigned)

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Notifications inconsistent with other Ubuntu notifications

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: chromium-browser

  Today gmail/chromium told me I can get desktop notifications on new
  emails, which is a great feature. Unfortunately the notifications
  don't use the Ubuntu notifications APIs (libnotify?) and seem out of
  place.

  There was apparently some discussion on the Ayatana mailing list, but
  there didn't seem to be a conclusion. I think chromium on Ubuntu
  should use the existing infrastructure even if that results in some
  loss of features (HTML and interactivity) compared to other platforms.

  Package: chromium-browser 8.0.552.237~r70801-0ubuntu1~ucd~stable2~maverick
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-25.44-generic 2.6.35.10
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  Date: Thu Jan 27 17:43:02 2011
  Desktop-Session:
   DESKTOP_SESSION = gnome
   GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID = this-is-deprecated
   XDG_CONFIG_DIRS = /etc/xdg/xdg-gnome:/etc/xdg
   XDG_DATA_DIRS = /usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/
  Env:
   MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH = None
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH = None
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release amd64 (20101007)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash