Seeing the same issue on 16.04 on an early 2009 iMac with 8GB's of RAM
and an SSD. (the last two things are unconventional for this model, as
is the prescence of Ubuntu instead of OSX i guess)

The workaround proposed in asnwer #6 seems to at least prevent my system
from locking up during file transfer. (so far)

  Ubuntu slows down and hangs while copying file from/to USB

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Hi

  While copying many and large files to and from a USB drive, the system
  becomes incredibly slow and sometimes hangs. I watched the system
  monitor while it was running slowly but cpu was not above 50% at any
  time, the same for memory.

  I'm using the "WD my passport" HD with a USB3 port of my "ASUS K55VD"
  laptop.

  Release:      13.04

  nautilus:
    Installed: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
    Candidate: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16 0
          500 http://ubuntu-archive.mirror.nucleus.be/ raring/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Steps to reproduce:
  1) Aquire many large files (like your totally legit moviecollection)
  2) Copy files to external HD
  3) Open your browser and be sad when your system becomes incredibly slow
after a few minutes

  This is my first bugreport so if I'm missing something, please tell
  me.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-27.40-generic 3.8.13.4
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-27-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
  Architecture: amd64