I get this occasionally over an SFTP interface to a remote block storage
system from time-to-time. Due to their implementation there is an
occasional and variable but short delay in newly written files becoming
accessible in subsequent requests. As its a question of timing it
usually doesn't cause a problem, but sometimes it does and then
duplicity is unable to perform subsequent backups without manually
wiping the local cache.

Note the first run terminated with the error `Giving up after 1
attempts. IOError: [Errno 2] No such file`. Followed by the assertion
errors described above for all subsequent runs until the cache is
cleared.

We may take the view that it is reasonable for the program to give up
when during the original error on the remote, but I think it should to
handle corruption in its own cache without manual intervention.

Packages, which is subscribed to duplicity in Ubuntu.

  Duplicity is failing with an assertion error when looking for a non-
  existent manifest file

Status in Duplicity:
  New
Status in duplicity package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in duplicity package in Debian:

  Binary package hint: duplicity

  Dupliciity refuses to back my files and throws up an assertion error
  where it appears to be trying to use a non-existent manifest.part
  file.  That file doesn't exist and I cannot find where it is
  referenced.  Here is the traceback:

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1251, in <module>
      with_tempdir(main)
    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1244, in with_tempdir
      fn()
    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1149, in main
      globals.archive_dir).set_values()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 676,
in set_values
      self.get_backup_chains(partials + backend_filename_list)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 799,
in get_backup_chains
      map(add_to_sets, filename_list)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 789,
in add_to_sets
      if set.add_filename(filename):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 89,
in add_filename
      self.set_manifest(filename)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 118,
in set_manifest
      remote_filename)
  AssertionError: ('duplicity-full.20100817T193647Z.manifest.part',
'duplicity-full.20100817T193647Z.manifest')

  Package: duplicity 0.6.09-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-20.29-generic 2.6.35.4
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-20-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Wed Sep  8 12:18:29 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Netbook 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Alpha i386
(20100803.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_GB.utf8