Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: ubuntu-drivers-common (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-drivers-common in Ubuntu.

  [*buntu 16.04 / PRIME] nvidia-smi not work if iGPU as the primary
  display

Status in ubuntu-drivers-common package in Ubuntu:

  Related links:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/876441/linux/monitoring-nvidia-gpu-when-intel-igpu-as-primary-display/

  https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/970144/linux/intel-for-
  display-nvidia-for-cuda-optimus-bug-/

  So the problem is that you can not monitor the temperature with
  nvidia-smi and also can't set the fan speed if iGPU is as a primary
  display selected from Prime profiles in Nvidia-Settings.

  In the second link it is mentioned a workaround that might give a clue
  about the cause of the problem. That is, I think 'nvidia-smi " should
  work by default without running this workaround as root.

  To make it clear, nvidia-smi works as expected if you have selected
  nvidia gpu as the primary display.

  Tested with nvidia-361 from official Ubuntu 16.04 repos. Installed libcuda1
and nvidia-prime packages.
  ====

  As additional information regarding the Proprietary GPU Drivers PPA (since it
is the only way Ubuntu users can update the drivers with .deb packages):
  https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

  If you install the drivers from the PPA (I tested 370.28 and 367.44)
  and iGPU as the primary display using PRIME, you can not even able to
  use CUDA in applications such as Blender/Cycles (CUDA is not available
  in Blender for GPU compute). This problem (not having CUDA available)
  does not occur with drivers from official repositories of Ubuntu, for
  example 361.42 is working well in Kubuntu 16.04. So I do not know if
  it is because PPA packages are built differently from the official
  repository. It would be good you to take a look at this.

  Thanks.

  System and Hardware specs:

  i7 3770 - HD 4000
  GTX 960
  Kubuntu 16.04 64bits

  $ lspci | grep -i vga
  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen
Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960]
(rev a1)

  $ uname -r
  4.4.0-38-generic