Sylvain, I had the same issue recently (before it worked well) and your
workaround did the job! However, I had to change page size once after
restart from "A4" to "automatic" to take effect (changed it back then to
A4). Thanks a lot!

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  page size setting is broken, use it as default crop or fix it by other
  means

Status in Simple Scan:
  Fix Released
Status in Simple Scan 3.10 series:
  Fix Released
Status in Simple Scan 3.11 series:
  Fix Released
Status in simple-scan package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in simple-scan source package in Saucy:
  Fix Released
Status in simple-scan source package in Trusty:

  For some SANE drivers simple scan always scans the largest scan area
  ignoring the "Page Size" setting in the preferences.

  To reproduce:
  1. Open Simple Scan
  2. Set page size in Document > Prefrences > Page Size, e.g. to "4x6"
  3. Scan a document
  Expected result:
  The document is scanned at the requested size
  Observed result:
  The document is scanned at the maximum size

  Regression potential:
  Low. The fix was to set the page size using an alternative method for drivers
that do not support the page-width, page-height options. There is a small
chance that these settings might change behaviour / expose bugs on drivers that
were previously working.