** Attachment added: "dmesg"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1696231/+attachment/4890287/+files/dmesg

** Information type changed from Private to Public

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  amdgpu needed blacklisting of radeon module

Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  I have installed a new Radeon card alongside the old one:
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
Baffin [Polaris11] (rev cf)
  03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]

  Booted Ubuntu, and the console just froze when switching to graphics mode. I
was not able to switch consoles with ctrl+alt+f1/ctrl+alt+f2, despite having
NAutoVTs=6 in /etc/systemd/logind.conf.
  I could login via SSH, but all I could see is that X wasn't able to find any
screens, but without any clues why:
  [    11.142] (EE) No devices detected.

  Finally when running X -configure as root I got the following helpful log
message before crashing:
  amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.49.0 but this driver is only
compatible with 3.x.x.

  After some searching I found that I should blacklist the radeon module
  to get the amdgpu module working, and indeed adding this file fixed
  it:

  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-radeon.conf
  # cannot load  both amdgpu and radeon
  blacklist radeon

  Then: sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

  Another workaround is to remove the old graphics card, that made
  booting work again.

  I think there is a bug here though: X shouldn't crash: it should be
  able to use at least one of the two graphics card drivers, and the
  text console should still be operational even if it failed to
  initialize graphical mode, so that the user can log in, investigate
  and fix things from a local console, instead of relying on fixing
  things over SSH.

  ProblemType: Crash
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.04
  Package: xserver-xorg-core 2:1.19.3-1ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.4-0ubuntu4.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CrashCounter: 1
  Date: Mon Jun  5 20:44:06 2017
  ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg
  ExecutableTimestamp: 1490632988
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-MATE 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Beta amd64 (20170321.1)
  ProcCmdline: /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -core :0 -seat seat0 -auth
/var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
  ProcCwd: /
  ProcEnviron: PATH=(custom, no user)
  Signal: 6
  SourcePackage: xorg-server
  StacktraceTop:
   OsAbort ()
   ?? ()
   FatalError ()
   ?? ()
   __libc_start_main (main=0x556cb5e47590, argc=11, argv=0x7ffca36148c8,
stack_end=0x7ffca36148b8) at ../csu/libc-start.c:291
  Title: Xorg crashed with SIGABRT in OsAbort()
  UserGroups: