No, still disconnects, but much longer intervals.

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-openvpn in Ubuntu.

  OpenVPN not Working in 17.04 via "Import a saved VPN configuration"

Status in NetworkManager:
  New
Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Ubuntu:

  I can definitely confirm that Network Manager's OpenVPN is not working
  yet in Ubuntu 17.04.

  I set up my configuration via import:
  http://neartalk.com/ss/2017-03-29_001_633x332.png

  On all earlier versions of Ubuntu, after importing the configuration,
  I'm able to connect to the VPN. However, in 17.04, connection attempts
  always give this error immediately:

  "The VPN Connection disconnected because the VPN Service has stopped"

  Clearly the VPN Service has NOT stopped. I've confirmed that this
  error is false by taking the exact same import-file and I imported it
  into an Ubuntu 16.04 computer and then the VPN connected without
  issue. Also, with this same import-file I've had no issues in Ubuntu
  16.10.

  So I've thoroughly confirmed that there is no issue with the VPN
  service. The issue is with the client in Ubuntu 17.04.

  I cannot upgrade to 17.04 until this is fixed.

  Package: network-manager-openvpn-gnome 1.2.6-2ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: Unity:Unity7
  Date: Wed Mar 29 05:25:14 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
  SourcePackage: network-manager-openvpn
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to zesty on 2017-03-27 (2 days ago)