You get this error when elevating privileges to root using sudo, gksu or
pkexec. Further you can't set default tab stops, tabs to spaces, font,
it doesn't return to last save position and the entire top line menu
dissappears.

I'm curious whether creating an account called "root" will setup
configuration files for gedit to save to???

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  "Set document metadata failed"

Status in gedit:
  Invalid
Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Whenever I edit a document via the Terminal, I get these error
  messages:

  ** (gedit:12864): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting
  attribute metadata::gedit-spell-enabled not supported

  ** (gedit:12864): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting
  attribute metadata::gedit-encoding not supported

  ** (gedit:12864): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting
  attribute metadata::gedit-position not supported

  Info:
  OS: Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) x64
  App version: 3.18.3

  - Blossom