I can reproduce this on LibreOffice 5.2.7.2 with the file from comment
18 when I paste the contents of that file into a single cell.  In fact
the first time I attempted to paste, calc crashed and then it's document
recovery dialog appeared.  The paste worked on the second attempt, but
was very slow.  Attempting to edit the text in the cell was also very
slow.

However this doesn't seem like a common use case for a spreadsheet.  I
would expect that text like this was stored and edited in a writer
document.  Do you mind if I ask why you want to put this large amount of
text into a spreadsheet cell?

  libreoffice-calc very slow to open/save documents with large cell
  contents

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  Libreoffice-calc 3.6 takes a long time (30sec to minutes) to open/save
  spreadsheets containing cells with a lot of content. This is a
  regression from libreoffice 3.5 in 12.04 (tested with
  1:3.5.4-0ubuntu1)

  To reproduce:
  1) Open the attached spreadsheet, which contains 1 cell with ~4k characters
in it

  Expected results:
  Spreadsheet opens quickly (<2sec on my 2.4Ghz Core2Duo w/ SSD)

  Actual results:
  Libreoffice splash screen shows, libreoffice window is displayed as a gray
rectangle with no content, and libreoffice window then becomes unresponsive.
CPU usage is at 100% on one core. The system stays in this state for ~30sec.
The document eventually opens and libreoffice functions normally.

  Saving documents with lots of data in a cell takes just as long as
  opening/reading those documents, with similar symptoms - libreoffice
  becomes unresponsive, one CPU core is at full utilization, etc.

  The amount of text in the cell is directly correlated to the length of
  time required to open/save the doc.

  Package: libreoffice-calc 1:3.6.0~rc4-0ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.4-0ubuntu6
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Thu Aug  9 13:20:27 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Beta amd64 (20100901.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: libreoffice
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-08-07 (2 days ago)