Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  Ubuntu 16.04.1 System policy prevents modification of network settings
  for all users

Status in modemmanager package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Same bug as described for Ubuntu 15.04 (see
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/964705)
  is still in my Ubuntu 16.04.1! My workaround is simple but strange:

  After switching on my notebook, booting into Ubuntu 16.04.1, and being
  at the login screen, before having logged into any user, the SIM-PIN
  menu appears. I key in the SIM-PIN, hit the <Unlock> button, then I am
  asked again for the SIM-PIN, this time with the error message
  "PolicyKit authorization failed: challenge needed for
  org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Device.Control". My workaround:

  Hit the <Cancel> button

  After that, I am able to log in and connect with my Aldi/Medion Huawei
  E173 USB stick to the network, if I am an AdminUser. For a user
  without Admin-rights it is a little bit more complicated after having
  logged in: he has to unlock the SIM pin again, then he is asked for
  the Admin passwort because necessary administrative rights. He has to
  hit <Cancel> twice, but then he can connect to the network without any
  knowledge of the Admin-paswort. Strange!

  Will Ubuntu 16.04 sometime come to the point of enabling mobile
  networking as simple as it was with Ubuntu 14.04?

  Thank you,

  siggi2