I have this bug also in 3.18.1-1ubuntu4 in Xenial.

** Tags added: xenial

Packages, which is subscribed to totem in Ubuntu.

  Totem pauses and stutters during video playback even when CPU usage is
  low

Status in Totem:
  Incomplete
Status in totem package in Ubuntu:

  Totem pauses and stutters during video playback even when CPU usage is
  low.

  After figuring out how to play videos with full hardware accelerated
  decoding (e.g. <= 10% CPU), I was surprised to find Totem still pauses
  and stutters during playback. Other apps like Mplayer, VLC and even
  gst-play-1.0 never have this problem.

  Package: totem 3.24.0-0ubuntu1