** Changed in: unity-2d

Packages, which is subscribed to libunity in Ubuntu.

  Unify sound & message menus registration process

Status in Messaging Menu:
  Won't Fix
Status in The Sound Menu:
  Won't Fix
Status in libunity:
  Triaged
Status in Unity:
  Triaged
Status in unity-2d:
  Invalid
Status in libunity package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in unity package in Ubuntu:

  I would like to propose the unification of the application registration
process.
  AFAIK, at the moment there is a following situation with the registration
process:
  1. Sound Menu. Every application registers itself after the first start
(providing desktop-file location through the dbus). The only preregistered
application is banshee.
  2. Messages menu. Every application registers itself, placing file with
desktop-file location into the /usr/share/indicators/messages/applications/
folder (or user folder). Default launcher list (evolution, empathy and gwibber)
is hardcoded, rather than stored in gconf scheme, as indicator-sound does.

  In fact, I see no united way to deal with all that stuff. I suppose, that
indicator interaction API should be similar in most cases, however in this case
they are absolutely different.
  First, messages-applications have no dbus-method to register themselves. Yep,
that's not fatal, it only makes maintainers should care about indicator
creation.
  And second, sound-applications are unable to preregister themselves during
the installation. Yep, this is conflicts with SoundMenu spec, but really why
it's stated in spec? And why it's different from Messages policy? The main
problem are applications who don't provide any GUI and are not intended to be
started as usual applications, but as something like user-session daemons. In
fact I can name only one such application :) — my mpd-sound-menu, in most cases
user wants it to be started with his session to display MPD status.

  Your suggestions?