[Expired for pulseaudio (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  The user cannot select sound card

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  On systems where there are several sound cards available, pulseaudio
  seems to choose arbitrary sound card (not default ALSA sound card).

  My board has integrated ICH5 and SB Live PCI installed. ALSA is set to
  use SB Live.

  moo@rousku:~$ cat .asoundrc.asoundconf
  # ALSA library configuration file managed by asoundconf(1).
  #
  # MANUAL CHANGES TO THIS FILE WILL BE OVERWRITTEN!
  #
  # Manual changes to the ALSA library configuration should be implemented
  # by editing the ~/.asoundrc file, not by editing this file.
  !defaults.pcm.card Live
  defaults.ctl.card Live

  I had the following sinks available (clean Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron install).

  >>> list-sinks
  2 sink(s) available.
      index: 0
        name: <alsa_output.pci_8086_24d5_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0>
        driver: <modules/module-alsa-sink.c>
        flags: HW_VOLUME_CTRL LATENCY HARDWARE
        state: SUSPENDED
        volume: <0: 100% 1: 100%>
        mute: <0>
        latency: <0 usec>
        monitor source: <0>
        sample spec: <s16le 2ch 48000Hz>
        channel map: <front-left,front-right>
        used by: <0>
        linked by: <0>
        module: <0>
      index: 1
        name: <alsa_output.pci_1102_2_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0>
        driver: <modules/module-alsa-sink.c>
        flags: HW_VOLUME_CTRL LATENCY HARDWARE
        state: SUSPENDED
        volume: <0:  32% 1:  32%>
        mute: <0>
        latency: <0 usec>
        monitor source: <2>
        sample spec: <s16le 2ch 44100Hz>
        channel map: <front-left,front-right>
        used by: <0>
        linked by: <0>
        module: <2>
via DMA>

  I want to use sink 1 (my sound card, not the integrated ICH5).
  However, there is no user interface to choose this anywhere.
  Preferences > Sounds do not have option to choose PulseAudio sink. For
  some reason, PulseAudio prefers ICH5. Thus, I cannot play any sounds
  (except by changing my wiring and using ICH5 plug, but that's not what
  I want due to suboptimal sound quality).

  Workaround:

  Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa

  sudo pico /etc/pulse/default.pa

  Add line:

  set-default-sink alsa_output.pci_1102_2_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0

  (You can get available sinks with pulseaudio -C and list-sinks
  commands)

  Restart PulseAudio:

  sudo /etc/init.d/pulseaudio restart