[Expired for pulseaudio (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  SPDIF on hda-intel  does not support more than two channels

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

  Release:      8.04

  I cannot get my Intel ALC883/888 to work with S/PDIF IEC958 to work on
  anything except two channels

   aplay -L
  default:CARD=Intel
      HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
      Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
      HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
      Front speakers
  surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
      HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
  surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
      HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
  surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
      HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
  surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
      HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
  surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
      HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
  iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
      HDA Intel, ALC883 Digital
      IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
  null

  Two channels work fine.

  speaker-test -D iec958 -c 2

  speaker-test 1.0.16

  Playback device is iec958
  Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
  Using 16 octaves of pink noise
  Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
  Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
  Period size range from 32 to 8192
  Using max buffer size 16384
  Periods = 4
  was set period_size = 4096
  was set buffer_size = 16384
   0 - Front Left
   1 - Front Right
  Time per period = 5.632152

  Does not work with any other number of channels e.g.

  $ speaker-test -D iec958 -c 6

  speaker-test 1.0.16

  Playback device is iec958
  Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
  Using 16 octaves of pink noise
  Channels count (6) not available for playbacks: Invalid argument
  Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument