[Expired for pulseaudio (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  New Gnome mixer makes sound tinny/crackly, alsamixer doesn't

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  When I adjust the volume using the new Karmic mixer in Gnome (or the
  wheel on my keyboard), the sound comes out sounding tinny (A little be
  crackly but mostly tinny)..

  However if I jump into alsamixer and make even a minor change such as
  turning the volume up then back down to its original setting the tinny
  sound goes away. Changing using the Gnome mixer causes it to come
  back.

  Sometimes it seems the problem seems gets temporarily fixed and the
  gnome mixer doesn't cause issues until next boot (probably after
  laying around with alsamixer for a while, haven't found out exactly
  what conditions fix it).

  I also notice that when adjusting the mixer, when watching in
  alsamixer, the PCM, Front and Surround channels have small changes (if
  they are at %100, then they tend to jump around 97-100). Also if I
  turn down the PCM channel, the gnome mixer will turn it back up to 100
  but turn down the Front and Surround channels.

  00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD
  Audio Controller

  Linux ender 2.6.31-11-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 25 06:37:23 UTC
  2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  hegemon    2143 F.... pulseaudio
                        hegemon    6146 F.... alsamixer
                        hegemon   16038 F.... alsamixer
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   hegemon    2143 F...m pulseaudio
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xfdff8000 irq 22'
     Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC888'
     Components : 'HDA:10ec0888,1458a002,00100001'
     Controls      : 40
     Simple ctrls  : 22