Chris, in my opinion this is not a feature request. It rather is a
consistency issue.

The indicators provide middle click functionality. Some apply this, some
not. But the keyboard indicator even gives visual feedback (turns gray)
while nothing happens. In my opinion the user expects that something
would happen, and this could easily be implemented in fact.

On a side note, if this is a feature request, where should I post it? I already
opened several similar bugs concerning Unity in the past which got attention
from the developers and were eventually implemented.
I know there is the brainstorm, but lets be honest: Only 10^(-20) of the
proposals ever get attention from developers.

  Middle clicking the keyboard layout indicator should cycle through
  possible languages

Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  Invalid
Status in Unity:
  Invalid
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  See title.

  This is functionality I have long wanted to see and should be easy to
  implement.