[Expired for pulseaudio (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]
** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)
Status: Incomplete => Expired
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1263231
Title:
64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 may hang at user login screen
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
Expired
Bug description:
Sometimes 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 may hang at user login screen. This may
happen on 32-bit version as well, but I can not confirm this.
The hang may last up to 45 seconds and after that everything works
normally: user desktop picture is shown, volume indicator seems to be
working and it is possible to type the password and log in.
But, this is not the end of the story. Now, volume indicator looks
like the sounds are muted, but it is still possible to hear everything
normally. At this state, some programs may hang. Firefox is one
example. Details exactly as stated here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/879240
I am sure it has nothing to do with low resources. My computer specs
are: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz with 4GB RAM and GeForce GTX 560.
I must add that my sound card is Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Fatal1ty Champion.
Other example of an other program hang is OpenArena. It may hang even
up to 30 minutes before it is playable.
On contrary, this never happens on my laptop (32-bit Ubuntu 12.04,
Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.00GHz with 4GB RAM and ATi Mobility Radeon HD 3400
with integrated sound chip.)
Reboot fixes this issue randomly. One day the computer may boot
perfectly, other day it hangs. Reboot may fix it or I have to reboot
again. Usually everything works normally at least on 3rd reboot or so.
This problem is related to pulseaudio. If Ubuntu hangs at startup,
volume icon at the top bar is showing that audio is off (even though
it's on), after logging in of course. Then, when I launch Firefox and
right-click, the browser hangs. When I launch "System monitoring"
-app, I see that process pulseaudio % CPU = 0 ID 3131 1,4 MiB has
priority "very high". Firefox window remains blackened for about 20
seconds and reverts back after that. Then this pulseaudio process will
have 2,4 MiB of memory usage and it remains "very high" on priority.
If I let Firefox hang again, I can kill pulseaudio process and Firefox
will work normally again. But if I right-click again, pulseaudio will
launch on background and hang the browser again.
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1263231/+subscriptions
--
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp