I've been trying to turn off encryption on vino-server in order to use
one of many of the VNC clients that don't deal with TLS encryption. In
the past, I've been able to start the vino-server by running by using
"DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/vino/vino-server --sm-disable >& ~/.vino.log &"
from a shell invoked with "ssh -X remotehostname".

The usual advice to turn off encryption and restart vino has reached yet
another wrinkle: Upon attempting to restart vino-server (because the
gsettings changes don't get re-read by vino-server except upon restart,
already a problem), we now get the following messages (1) "(vino-
server:21493): EggSMClient-CRITICAL **: egg_sm_client_set_mode:
assertion 'global_client == NULL || global_client_mode ==
EGG_SM_CLIENT_MODE_DISABLED' failed" and (2) "** Message: The desktop
sharing service is already running, exiting.", even after a "pkill
vino".

Message (1) I haven't tracked down, though another bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vino/+bug/1082182  mentions
essentially the same problem, but there's no resolution.

For message (2), looking at the source code, this message comes from
name_lost(), which is called from:
g_bus_own_name (G_BUS_TYPE_SESSION, "org.gnome.Vino",
                  G_BUS_NAME_OWNER_FLAGS_NONE,
                  bus_acquired, name_acquired, name_lost,
                  &vino, NULL);

Now, looking at the doc for g_bus_own_name(), from
https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/gio-Owning-Bus-Names.html

There are two ways the name_lost handler might be invoked: "You are guaranteed
that one of the name_acquired_handler and name_lost_handler callbacks will be
invoked after calling this function - there are three possible cases:
name_lost_handler with a NULL connection (if a connection to the bus can't be
made).
bus_acquired_handler then name_lost_handler (if the name can't be obtained)
bus_acquired_handler then name_acquired_handler (if the name was obtained)."

Unfortunately the writer of this name_lost code assumed that it must be
because of the second case, and completely ignored the first case (if a
connection to the bus can't be made), making it hard to distinguish
what's going wrong here. I know that when, for example, starting emacs
from the command line over an "ssh -X" connection, I get a bunch of
error messages about having trouble connecting to dbus, but it
eventually starts up. Is this something similar, except that gives up
immediately?

I've been unable to figure out how to restart the vino-server in these
cases, other than to reboot the machine. Is there a any better way to
restart the vino-server?

A final thought - is there any possibility of (a) turning off require
encryption by default or (b) having vino-preferences set up to click off
the option of requiring TLS encryption or (c) having some normal way to
restart the vino-server (such as "sudo service vino restart" or
something) or (d) having vino-server re-read the settings before opening
a new connection or even (e) having a man page for vino-server? It's my
understanding that this "require encryption" option only protects the
initial handling of the password, and that all the rest of the session
keystrokes and display data aren't encrypted anyway, so all these
problems are the result of insisting on a change that doesn't really
protect users. It's more effective to form the connection within an ssh
session that would protect all the contents, password, keystroke, and
display data.

Packages, which is subscribed to vino in Ubuntu.

  VNC accessible from non-linux machines only with encryption disabled

Status in TigerVNC:
  New
Status in vino:
  Confirmed
Status in vino package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in vino source package in Trusty:
  Triaged
Status in vino package in Fedora:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Since a recent update, it is impossible to connect to my Ubuntu box
  using VNC from a Windows machine unless I disable encryption on the
  vino server.

  I tested up-to-date tightVNC client and TigerVNC client on the Windows
  machine, with the same result. As soon I try to connect, I receive the
  following error:

  [ 5872/ 6448] 2014-01-20 12:11:18:247   List of security type is read
  [ 5872/ 6448] 2014-01-20 12:11:18:247 : Security Types received (1): Unknown
type (18)
  [ 5872/ 6448] 2014-01-20 12:11:18:247   Selecting auth-handler
  [ 5872/ 6448] 2014-01-20 12:11:18:247 + RemoteViewerCore. Exception: No
security types supported. Server sent security types, but we do not support any
of their.

  So it seems that the update changed the security type of vino to a new
  one. I searched for a way to go back to the old one (until the clients
  catches up) with no avail.

  A solution is disabling the encryption completely, by

  gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false

  ...but this is subotpimal. Is there a way to switch the encryption
  back to the old one?