I can confirm (Inkscape 0.92.2pre0 (973e216, 2017-07-25), x64, Windows 10) that
the perspective extension works as expected with grouped text.
You should only ever select two objects: The first object is supposed to be the
path (or group of paths)to be transformed, the second is the path defining the
transformation.

I'm closing this for now, but if you can still reproduce the issue with
the steps describe feel free to re-open.

** Changed in: inkscape

Packages, which is subscribed to inkscape in Ubuntu.

  perspective extension does not render

Status in Inkscape:
  Incomplete
Status in inkscape package in Ubuntu:

  This started with inkscape v.48, and continues with inkscape v.91.

  -Computer-
  Processor             : 2x AMD C-60 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
  Memory                : 3768MB (2187MB used)
  Operating System              : Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
  User Name             : david (David Weeks)
  Date/Time             : Sun 27 Mar 2016 05:52:53 PM EDT
  -Display-
  Resolution            : 1366x768 pixels
  OpenGL Renderer               : Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM
  X11 Vendor            : The X.Org Foundation
  -Multimedia-
  Audio Adapter         : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
  Audio Adapter         : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
  -Input Devices-
   AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
   Video Bus
   SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
  -Version-
  Kernel                : Linux 3.13.0-83-generic (x86_64)
  Compiled              : #127-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 11 00:25:37 UTC 2016
  C Library             : Unknown
  Default C Compiler            : GNU C Compiler version 4.8.4 (Ubuntu
4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.1)
  Distribution          : Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
  -Display-
  Resolution            : 1366x768 pixels
  Vendor                : The X.Org Foundation
  Version               : 1.15.1
  -Monitors-
  Monitor 0             : 1366x768 pixels
  -OpenGL-
  Vendor                : X.Org
  Renderer              : Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM
  Version               : 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
  Direct Rendering              : Yes

  david@NB01:~$ apt-cache policy inkscape
  inkscape:
    Installed: 0.91.0+47~ubuntu14.04.1
    Candidate: 0.91.0+47~ubuntu14.04.1
    Version table:
   *** 0.91.0+47~ubuntu14.04.1 0
          500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/inkscape.dev/stable/ubuntu/ trusty/main
amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       0.48.4-3ubuntu2 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
  david@NB01:~$ apt-cache policy python-numpy
  python-numpy:
    Installed: 1:1.8.2-0ubuntu0.1
    Candidate: 1:1.8.2-0ubuntu0.1
    Version table:
   *** 1:1.8.2-0ubuntu0.1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1:1.8.1-1ubuntu1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages

  Even a very basic test of this extension fails.  First, I create some
  text, then select it, convert to paths, ungroup.  Then I create from 1
  2 3 4 a box with the pencil or pen tool, being sure that I continue
  the line all the way until I have a closed box.  Then convert to
  paths.  Then I select all the text paths, then the box path, and run
  the Extension>Modify Path>Perspective tool, which either causes the
  box to only disappear, or only the first letter of the text to
  disappear.  The text is not mapped to the box.  If fails reliably.  It
  does not work at all.

  I've used this extension before, and had it work.  I've checked my
  steps and this is how the Perspective extension is supposed to be
  used.