I mean either you build with xserver-xorg-dev & libxfont1-dev, or
xserver-xorg-dev-hwe-16.04 & libxfont-dev. Can't mix the two. Fix your
pkg to match.

Packages, which is subscribed to libxfont in Ubuntu.

  libxfont1-dev is missing fontutil.h

Status in libxfont package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  /usr/include/xorg/dixfont.h includes X11/fonts/fontutil.h.

  fontutil.h is contained in libxfont1-dev package not libxfont-dev
  package (version 2.0.1).

  I am trying to build xorgxrdp and it fails because fontutil.h is
  missing.

  In Ubuntu, libxfont1-dev package is required however libxfont1-dev and
  libxfont-dev cannot be installed together. This is the problem.

  I looked at Debian, too. /usr/include/xorg/dixfont.h in Debian does
  NOT include X11/fonts/fontutil.h.

  This is the right state.

  Package info: Ubuntu 16.04

  $  dpkg -la | grep -e xserver-xorg-dev -e libxfont-dev
  ii  libxfont-dev                       1:2.0.1-3~ubuntu16.04.1
    amd64        X11 font rasterisation library (development headers)
  ii  xserver-xorg-dev                   2:1.18.4-0ubuntu0.3
    amd64        Xorg X server - development files

  brian