I tried the image of 17.10 (checked its sha256sum after download, it
matched) and tested the 17.10 live USB using "test disc for defects" and
no errors found.

I connected the HDMI cable to the TV, but I still had to manually switch
the sound from the laptop speakers to the HDMI output.

This bug appears NOT to be fixed.

Thanks again for your time and your help, it's genuinely appreciated. :)

I am happy to try other suggestions.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Sound does not automatically play on new audio device

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  When connecting a HDMI cable or other audio device, the user must
  manually click on the "sound volume" in the top-right and switch to
  the newly connected device.

  Example: you connect a HDMI cable to the television, but then you must
  manually choose the HDMI sound option; it does not get selected
  automatically.

  Often times e.g. when the HDMI cable is disconnected, the user must
  then manually click on the "speakers" or "line out" setting - EVEN IF
  IT'S ALREADY SELECTED, it must be clicked on again for the sound to
  work through the computer's speakers.