Jörg, I pushed 1.0.27 from experimental to Ubuntu 17.10 because Ubuntu
had been using an old git snapshot before which wasn't good at all.

Jörg, does it make sense to add 'Provides: libsane' to libsane1?

PeterPall, please report this issue to the providers of those third-
party plugins.

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  the change from libsane to libsane1 broke many (all?) 3rd party plug-
  ins for sane

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in sane-backends package in Debian:

  I don't know if that can be prevented in the long run. But both brscan
  (for my brother scanner) and iscan (for my epson scanners) have been
  broken by the change from libsane to libsane1. For iscan I have
  unpackaged the debian package, changed the dependency it contains from
  libsane to libsane1 and installed the changed package. But even then
  my epson scanners no more work leaving me without any scanner =>
  Reporting a bug.

  Package: libsane1 1.0.27-1~experimental1ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 4.13.0-041300rc2-lowlatency x86_64