Please do not suggest to install third-party packages, even if from the
upstream developper.  It is a very bad idea in almost all situations.
The real problem is how to distinguish those situations from the ones
where it might be OK (for the ordinary user).  Thus, the normal user
should stick to the official packages.  We need to get rid of the
impulse to install random stuff from the internet to quickly "fix" a
problem.

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  "Invalid argument" when trying to scan

Status in gscan2pdf package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using a Fujitsu M3091DCd scanner with SANE. From the command line
  it works more or less well with Ubuntu.

  I can't use it with gscan2pdf v0.9.31, but gscan2pdf works with
  another scanner.

  All I get is a meaningless "Invalid argument" when I hit the scan
  button.

  When I start gscan2pdf from the command line I see these lines
  appearing when I hit the scan button:

  Error running process: Died at (eval 39) line 7.

    $device->start;
    $shash{$sane_thread}{status} = $Sane::STATUS+0;
    if ($Sane::STATUS != SANE_STATUS_GOOD) {
     print "$prog_name: sane_start: $Sane::STATUS\n" if $debug;
     $shash{$sane_thread}{go} = 0;
     die; # quickest way out of the eval block
    }

    my $path = $shash{$sane_thread}{data};
    if (not open($fh, ">", $path)) {
     $device->cancel;
     $shash{$sane_thread}{status} = SANE_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED;
     $shash{$sane_thread}{go} = 0;
     die; # quickest way out of the eval block
    }
    scan_page($device, $fh);
    $shash{$sane_thread}{status} = $Sane::STATUS+0;
    close $fh;
    printf "Scanned page %s.", $path if $debug;
    printf " (scanner status = %d)\n", $Sane::STATUS if $debug;
    $shash{$sane_thread}{status} = $Sane::STATUS+0;
    $shash{$sane_thread}{go} = 0;

  Package: gscan2pdf 0.9.31-2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-11.48-generic 2.6.38.8
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-11-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Thu Sep  8 09:44:25 2011
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=
   PATH=(custom, no username)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gscan2pdf
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-06-01 (98 days ago)