This bug was fixed in the package deja-dup - 35.4-0ubuntu3

---------------
deja-dup (35.4-0ubuntu3) artful; urgency=medium

  * debian/patches/allow-no-packagekit.patch:
    - Cherry-pick patch from upstream git that properly fixes our tests
      in autopkgtests where packagekit isn't installed.

 -- Michael Terry <mte...@ubuntu.com>  Sat, 19 Aug 2017 14:24:51 -0400

** Changed in: deja-dup (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  No Icon in panel when job is running

Status in Déjà Dup:
  Fix Released
Status in deja-dup package in Ubuntu:

  Kubuntu 16.04
  deja-dup        34.2-0ubuntu1
  duplicity       0.7.06-2ubuntu2

  When Deja Dup is starting the icons in the panel are moved and I can see a
gap but no deja dup icon.
  To show this icon when the job is running is very helpful. I know that early
version had this feature.