** Also affects: deja-dup (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  support system backups (set up a backup run by root)

Status in Déjà Dup:
  Confirmed
Status in deja-dup package in Ubuntu:

  It would be great if you could "fix Deja Dup to ask for permission to read
things it can't." (From answer to question #67726).

  Also from that thread:
  ---
  This is what I'm using now:

  sudo duplicity / scp://username@host/backupdirectory/duplicity/
  --asynchronous-upload --exclude /tmp --exclude /proc --exclude /media
  --exclude /mnt --exclude /cdrom --exclude /sys --gpg-options
  ='--compress-algo=bzip2 --bzip2-compress-level=9' -v5

  I can *almost* do this via [deja-dup], but when I run it as root it I don't
have access to the typical Nautilus style "Connect to Server" options. It seams
there isn't a way to specify an scp destination. Then there's also the
scheduling issue mentioned above.
  ---

  Deja-dup might not have to run as root just to go through the GUI to
  configure the system backup (profile). It might be enough to be able
  to trigger backups from the command line as root (su, sudo), or by
  dropping a script into /etc/cron.daily.

  OTOH with backintime you run it as root to create the config files for
  root.