For reference, a couple of users have been experiencing the same issue
on HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8, which use Matrox MGA G200EH, the
original culprit that caused the module mgag200 to be excluded from the
kernel years ago.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/HP-ProLiant-
Gen8-with-Ubuntu-16-and-no-monitor-using-iLO-remote/m-p/6972709

In the linked topic, I put together a step-by-step walkthrough through
installing the mgag200 module for Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distros like
Mint. Some users might find it helpful.

Unfortunately, only one novice user tried this on HP Gen8 and apparently
it did not work. I am not sure whether the mgag200 module just does not
work with G200EH yet or whether there was some mistake made in the
approach either by me or the user. It would be very helpful for someone
to test this with this specific chip and report in more detail.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  matrox g200eR2 is unclaimed in 14.04

Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  On a certified Dell PowerEdge T620 server
  (http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201207-11426/)

  The matrox video card is not recognised:
  lspci | grep VGA
  0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. G200eR2

  lshw -C display
    *-display UNCLAIMED
         product: G200eR2
         vendor: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd.
         physical id: 0
         bus info: pci@0000:0a:00.0
         version: 00
         width: 32 bits
         clock: 33MHz
         capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list
         configuration: latency=64 maxlatency=32 mingnt=16
         resources: memory:d8000000-d8ffffff memory:deffc000-deffffff
memory:de000000-de7fffff

  Thus xserver is not hardver accelerated.

  Also /dev/dri and /dev/dri/card0 is missing.

  kernel module mga is not loaded, although if i manually load by modprobe it
works fine
  modprobe mga
  lsmod | grep mga
  mga                    40811  0