I have 55.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 but am still seeing hangs quite
similar to this.

I've been using Firefox for many years but this is the first time this
has happened.

The hangs are usually permanent (maybe because I just don't wait) and I
have to kill the process.

I use KDE Neon and am willing to provide any sort of logs that may be
required for this.

  Since the update to 55.0.1 firefox hangs frequently with 100% cpu
  usage

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Just received the upgrade. Unfortunately, firefox is hardly usable
  now. Rather frequently, CPU usage jumps up to 100% of a core, with the
  FF UI completely frozen. In some occasione, the hang is temporary. In
  others it is permanent and the application must be terminated.

  I suggest reverting ubuntu to FF 54 until the FF 55 issues are
  resolved upstream.

  Package: firefox 55.0.1+build2-0ubuntu0.17.04.2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.4-0ubuntu4.5
  Architecture: amd64
  BuildID: 20170814193419
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  Date: Wed Aug 16 00:07:52 2017
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  SourcePackage: firefox
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to zesty on 2017-05-04 (103 days ago)