Thanks for the pointer!

The window in the screen shot is taken with zero configured padding. The
green strip between the gray vim background and the orange scroll bar is
all ugly padding added by gnome-terminal.

It sounds from your description as if the real problem is in "vte" which is
used by gnome-terminal?
Note that, in the worst of cases, when I maximize a window and get a green
border on the bottom, I will sometimes get a line of text "stuck" there, and
it's inaccessible by any normal editor commands or cursor movement. I can't
reproduce this on demand (yet) though.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  gnome-terminal shrinks window to nothing

Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:

  Using Ubuntu 17.04, vim, in gnome-terminal. Default everythings from
  the desktop install, default Theme. The only change is the default
  window size in the settings -- I have it at 149x48. This bug happens
  even with the default 80x24 window size. The font is the default (not
  overridden) Monospace Regular 12.

  When running vim in gnome-terminal, there is an ugly margin of
  terminal-background color on the right/bottom of the terminal window.
  My vim background is gray, my terminal background is green, vim
  displays gray background but there is a green border just slightly
  slimmer than one character cell on the right/bottom. This also happens
  for other terminal programs (including the shell) if they set the
  background color of output.

  In an attempt to at least make this less ugly, I tried to add some
  padding to the terminal to center the drawable area that vim paints
  with the background. I added the following to my gtk.css:

      $ cat .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
      vte-terminal {
          padding: 8px 8px 5px 1px;
      }

  Now, when I open gnome-terminal, it keeps resizing itself to be
  shorter in the Y axis, one line at a time, until it is only one line
  high. It's almost like an animation of the window height, collapsing
  the window to be very short. After it stops there, I can manually snap
  the terminal to top/bottom edges of the screen, and it will stay
  there, but trying to resize it will just keep shrinking the height.

  This bug is about the resizing behavior. My totally uneducated guess
  is that there's some off-by-one error when allocating space for the
  terminal window contents. Terminal calculates contents, sets the
  window, measures contents, decides to attempt to "snap" to size of
  character cell, rounds down, window gets shorter, terminal measures
  contents, decides to attempt to "snap" to size of character cell,
  rounds down, window gets shorter, ...

  If that is, indeed, the case, then the other bug (the ugly border) may
  be caused by the same problem, but I will file a separate bug for
  that.

      $ lsb_release -rd
      Release:  17.04

      $ apt-cache policy gnome-terminal