Is there an upstream bug for this somewhere or do we need to file one?
This is a very common problem with GNOME Software, see here
(https://twitter.com/probonopd/status/899740745481015297) for an
example. I run into this bug all the time (as Alan experienced it) and
it makes GNOME Software very painful to use (I just use Terminal anyway,
but with more up-to-date snaps coming onto GNOME Software, the GUI will
become more useful). I think people don't bother saying they're affected
by this bug, they just say that GNOME Software is crap and move on...

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Software app very slow to fully start up

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  This is follow-up for bug 1592678 which more or less requests that
  gnome-software not run a background service.

  1. From a terminal, run pkill gnome-software to kill the background service.
  2. Start the Software app and click one of the apps on the front page to see
more info about it.

  What happens
  ============
  In my testing on a Ubuntu 16.04 Live DVD in VirtualBox with a traditional
non-SSD hard drive and 1.5 GB allocated RAM (admittedly not the speediest
environment), it took 90 seconds for that info page to load!

  Once that page is loaded, browsing to other pages doesn't take long at
  all. Or if you just wait 2 minutes first then it's not that slow
  either.

  Package: gnome-software 3.20.1+git20160617.1.0440874.ubuntu-xenial-0ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Sun Jun 19 04:59:00 2016
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Beta amd64
(20160408)
  SourcePackage: gnome-software