I have the same scanner.
I tried a couple of scanning programs, one of them gave a 5 char cal file, like
this one here.
simple-scan did not like it either.

Another program had a gui with a calibrate function and it coughed up a
65k file, it seems to work for simple scan as well.

Try xscan.

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  Visioneer RoadWarrior Scanner [Sane]

Status in simple-scan package in Ubuntu:

  I just picked up one of these portable scanners, it works well in
  Windows.

  In Linux and either xsane or simple-scan however it always scans a
  completely black page.

  Thinking it was a calibration issue I ran:-

  SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255 scanimage -d genesys --calibrate
  2>calibrate.log

  Which at first reported it couldn't find the correct sheet. I made one
  using:
  http://www.fixya.com/support/t17003105-calibration_sheet_visioneer_roadwarrior
  and the errors went away

  This is resolved. The calibration value "01 e8 00 00 00" is written.
  There is still an error in the log but it appears to be OK. I'm unsure
  if it's calibration anyhow as it worked OK-ish in Windows (washed out,
  but had an image).

  Scans are still completely black.