It's rather annnoying bug, as it causes to open console applications in
xterm instead of DE-specific terminal emulator, as there:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/788736/open-vim-in-xfce4-terminal-from-
thunar. The patch is trivial and just adds x-terminal-emulator into the
list of considered by glib terminal emulators.

** Patch added: "Adds x-terminal-emulator-support to glib "open in terminal
emulator" functionality"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glib2.0/+bug/501192/+attachment/4947233/+files/x-terminal-emulator-support.patch

Packages, which is subscribed to glib2.0 in Ubuntu.

  ignores x-terminal-emulator

Status in glib2.0 package in Ubuntu:

  The GIO sublibrary in GLib has a function called
  prepend_terminal_to_vector, which prepare a command line by prepending
  it with a valid X terminal name before executing it.

  The function as distributed in Glib first search for gnome-terminal before
trying several well-known terminal application.
  I believe this is not acceptable in a distribution like Ubuntu, which
supports the x-terminal-emulator alternative to set the preferred terminal to
the user. As it is right now, gnome-panel simply ignores the chosen
x-terminal-emulator as well as the GNOME preferred terminal application (and
that is another bug!)

  I don't know any other application which expose this bug other than
  gnome-panel. Glib applications in Ubuntu should default to x-terminal-
  emulator before trying any other kind of terminal emulator.