Hello,
I have my keyboard returning to US when launching after having it well
configured to fr.

This was on Lenovo Z51-70 (new install)

Strangely, when entering the password for unscripting the hard drives,
the keyboard is well configured in french, but when accessing to "enter
user password" section, the keyboard was in US.

I have solved the problem by adding "display-setup-
script=/usr/bin/setxkbmap fr oss" in the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file.

hopes this will help improve Ubuntu ^^

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  wrong keybord layout at system start

Status in unity-greeter package in Ubuntu:

  my system is set to german by default (De). When starting thunderbird and
writing a new mail my keyboard is in qwerty mode.
  i must click on the De icon in the task bar to set it to qwertz mode.
  When updates need to be veriyfied with password i get wrong password -
clicking the de icon in task bar sets it to german.
  thanks!
  ubuntu 14.04