While it is true that Gnome is the desktop that uses the most RAM, I've
never seen gnome-shell use that much RAM or CPU in any Linux
distribution.

Just to make you think a bit, System76 decided to change their GTK theme
based on Adapta because they noticed it was causing high memory usage.
Pop!_OS is based on Ubuntu and it takes less RAM...

I have tried many Gnome distros, Fedora, Manjaro, OpenSuse, and none
took that much RAM. And that's not talking about CPU usage.

So, please, take the time to review this before shoveling the problem to
upstream.

  gnome-shell uses lots of memory

  On Ubuntu 17.10 (daily build, VirtualBox), gnome-shell uses lots of
  memory, even more after opening and closing just a few apps
  (LibreOffice Writer, Chromium, Nautilus.) More than 640 mb.

  Also,the CPU usage is quite high too, even if nothing is running in
  the foreground.

  See screen captures.