Public bug reported:

On Ubuntu 17.10 I installed gimp using Ubuntu Software. Gimp (2.8.22
according help-about) has been installed in snapd with many error
messages (failed to read from snapd, failed to write to snapd...) but it
works.

corrado@corrado-aa-0919-p9:~$ snap info gimp
name:      gimp
summary:   "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
publisher: snapcrafters
contact:   https://github.com/snapcrafters/gimp/issues
  Whether you are a graphic designer, photographer, illustrator, or scientist,
  GIMP provides you with sophisticated tools to get your job done. You can
  further enhance your productivity with GIMP thanks to many customization
  options and 3rd party plugins.
snap-id: KDHYbyuzZukmLhiogKiUksByRhXD2gYV
commands:
  - gimp
tracking:    stable
installed:   2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
refreshed:   2017-09-12 22:41:22 +0200 CEST
channels:
  stable:    2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  candidate: 2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  beta:      2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  edge:      2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
corrado@corrado-aa-0919-p9:~$

gimp works fine on pictures existing on local drive, but is unable to access
pictures residing on same harddisk different partition with a message 'Could
not open... Permission denied. The same pictures are accessed smoothly by Image
Viewer or Shotwell.
With the message 'Could not open...' on the screen I attempted to open a bug
with ubuntu-bug -w or ubuntu-bug id# but apport seems hang collecting problem
information with a message: The crashed program seems to use third-part or
local libraries. see attached screenshot.
Gimp 2.8.20 installed via apt in Ubuntu 17.10 in a different partition of same
disk does not have this problem.
Similar problem with VLC installed in snap: does nor work on videos residing in
a different partition and apport hangs trying to create a bug report.

This bug report is obtained with 'ubuntu-bug gimp' but apport say 'not
installed'

I don't know if I should open also a different bug for 'gimp unable to deal
with pictures on different partitions' and 2 other bugs for VLC or a bug for
snap.
Thanks.

Package: gimp (not installed)
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME