It's possible this is a totem or gst bug. What I currently see -
1. The app-install-data warning is longstanding, bug here
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/packagekit/+bug/1716137
2. At least here 'easy-codec-install' works fine on supported local files
3. A text/html decoder missing usually refers to unsupported or unknown type
4. If one was to install gst libav, bad & ugly plugins the Guardian vids still
won't work, same error about text/html

Noting this isn't a fresh install from latest image I'm checking on..

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Unable to find codecs to play videos

Status in packagekit package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  To reproduce:

  1. Open Totem
  2. Go to Channels and select The Guardian Videos
  3. Select any video
  4. Totem complains about missing codecs
  5. GNOME Software then complains that app-install-data is missing

  See screenshots.

  Package: ubuntu-software 3.26.0-0ubuntu2
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Sep 23 11:54:53 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Alpha amd64 (20170919)
  InstalledPlugins:
   gnome-software-plugin-flatpak N/A
   gnome-software-plugin-limba   N/A
   gnome-software-plugin-snap    3.26.0-0ubuntu2
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: gnome-software