I have installed 17.10 in a virtual box (have an nvidia card in my pc,
not sure what virtual box detects as, in a windows host), and been
updating it daily to check out the 17.10 progression. It was fine for a
few weeks, but then about a week ago I would install, and then boot -
all good, and then I would do an apt update and upgrade. Once I reboot
after an upgrade, I get a black login, then if I press enter, enter my
password and press enter again, I get the brief screen with text (like
when it worked) and then black again.

I'm thinking this is the same issue? Or in this issue is everyone
booting to black immediately after install? I have been downloading the
daily builds, so it's not an old image I am installing from.

  Ubuntu 17.10 boots to black screen when using Nvidia drivers (on a
  desktop with an Intel GPU)

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-375 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Ubuntu 17.10 boots to black screen when using Nvidia drivers (on a
  desktop with an Intel GPU)

  WORKAROUNDS:

  * Disable integrated graphics/GPU in your BIOS.

  * Add 'nomodeset' to your kernel command line.

  ORIGINAL DESCRIPTION:

  This bug is very similar to
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/+bug/1559576
  which is closed. I have been asked to open a new bug report.

  The issue is on Ubuntu 17.10 with gdm3 fully updated as of July 20,
  2017. I upgraded to 17.10 from a freshly installed Ubuntu 17.04.

  - Lightdm works
  - Nouveau driver works
  - Nvidia driver 375.66 (proprietary) does not work
  - Nvidia driver 384.47 (open source) does not work (from
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa)
  - Nvidia drivers work with Ubuntu Gnome 17.04

  I am using Nvidia GTX 1080 and Intel i7-4790K

  lsb_release -rd:
  Release:      17.10

  apt-cache policy gnome-shell:
  gnome-shell:
    Installed: 3.24.2-0ubuntu7
    Candidate: 3.24.2-0ubuntu7
    Version table:
   *** 3.24.2-0ubuntu7 500
          500 http://sa.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  uname -s -r -v -p -i -o:
  Linux 4.11.0-11-generic #16-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 12 20:40:19 UTC 2017 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux