I'm looking forward to seeing how much the upstream changes fixes all
these. Yes, I also saw some of the other transient effects noted above;
the gnome-shell text part of it was just the bit I managed to isolate
and find consistency in. :-)

I had seen the need to apply scaling twice - sometimes, and titlebar
text being unscaled at first, but fixing itself before long, I think
after some particular thing happens that I haven't yet identified. (I
think going to activities view and back fixed it, for instance, but not
sure about that yet.) Some apps still having small text was "fixed" by
setting the old scaling-factor setting, but I knew that wasn't a proper
fix, just hoped it was an observation that might help someone narrow it
down. IIRC I think one of the upstream bugs mentioned relates to that
already.

TBH I never did see any point in changing the text-scaling-factor
setting (the font size multiplier in gnome tweak tool). It just makes
the text that already is right go wrong, so I never found it to be
useful. My only mention of it was to show how the problem, for me
anyway, only affected gnome-shell *text*.

  HiDPI support partially broken after upgrade to Gnome 3.25, 3.26

  After an upgrade this morning that took in the new version of this
  package, and a suite of gnome-session/gnome-settings packages, which
  may also be implicated, support for scaling on HiDPI screens seems to
  have partially failed. Partially.

  BTW I invoked the bug reporter with "ubuntu-bug ubuntu-session" but
  when I got to the launchpad page it had pre-filled "gnome-session".
  One presumes there's a reason for that so I've left it, especially as
  this does affect "GNOME" as well as "Ubuntu" sessions. But I do note a
  settings migrations utility in ubuntu-session which I wonder if it
  might be implicated. (TBH looking at it it's not obvious why, though
  it does reset scaling - that's not the problem, the problem is that it
  can't be set back to a combination that works.)

  Reminder all the stuff I'm reporting below as being wrongly-scaled was
  scaled correctly before the update that just took place. Enpass got a
  little help from having some QT env variables set, but that's it.

  Logging in under session "Ubuntu" (Wayland - on a different machine as
  this one being nvidia doesn't support it) or session "Ubuntu on Xorg"
  - also affects GNOME sessions:

  * The fonts in the top bar, and the menus and indicators accessible
  from there, are unscaled. The indicator icons *are* scaled correctly.

  * The fonts in the applications view are unscaled, but the icons and
  layout *are* scaled correctly.

  * Menu titlebar *text* is unscaled. close/minimize/maximize widgets
  *are* scaled correctly, as is the titlebar's size itself.

  * The mouse pointer is unscaled.

  * Non-Gnome apps, either QT or GTK (examples: enpass, nextcloud-
  client, hexchat, sublime text 3) are unscaled, or in some cases are a
  bit confused, with some elements correctly scaled, but again fonts are
  not.

  * Also on a personal note, Java 9 JavaFX apps are no longer scaled.
  (In Java 8 it was already broken; I was targeting Java 9 with my
  development partly *because* its HiDPI support was working in Linux.)
  FYI Java 9 JavaFX uses GTK3, Java 8 uses GTK2.

  ## What is working:

  * Gnome apps (eg: Terminal, Transmission, Settings, Tweaks, Nautilus,
  Gedit etc. etc.) are all fine. Although note those that use a "normal"
  titlebar (eg: Terminal) rather than an integrated one (eg: Nautilus)
  show small titlebar text as mentioned above

  * Google Chrome, Thunderbird, Firefox are fine (although the latter
  two aren't being updated for Artful yet, just sayin' ;-)

  ## What happens if I try to fix it:

  gsettings org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor appears to no
  longer be operational. Changing its value from 0 (default), 1 and 2
  appears to have no effect on anything any more. It used to be setting
  it to 2 fixed the few things that weren't right by having it set to
  0... Correction, that *does* fix it for Java 9 JavaFX, it must be
  reading that setting directly. But nothing else reported as broken
  above is affected by changing this setting. Nor in fact does setting
  it to 1 cause gnome apps to be unscaled.

  gsettings org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-size is working. I can
  set it to 48, double its normal size, to get back normal-sized cursors
  when the pointer is over newly-launched applications. But that's
  obviously a workaround.

  gsettings org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor set to 2.0,
  also exposed in Gnome Tweaks, unsurprisingly makes text twice as
  large. That "fixes" it for the applications that are reported as being
  unscaled above, but it also doubles the size of text in gnome apps as
  well, so those are now far too large for the windows they're in.
  Google Chrome is unaffected by this, as is Java 9 JavaFX, but
  Thunderbird *is* affected.

  I noticed a new gsetting: com.ubuntu.user-interface scale-factor, but
  it seems to have a nonsense-value "@a{si} {}". I have no idea if this
  is anything in use or if it was an intended Unity 8 thing. I didn't
  try anything with it.

  Package: ubuntu-session 3.25.90-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME